Are you a pioneer and innovative thinker, interested in shaping your job in a nascent sector? Can you think strategically to inform/advise a global strategy in an evolving environment, and act tactically to lead work in your region? Are you interested in helping lead a Network that is driving change in global and public health? Are you a partner-sector collaborator with the network and ability to crowd-in a diverse set of partners around pandemic preparedness and response? Do you have a can-do attitude to help establish and build a regional hub, including fundraising, to support pandemic response and preparedness?
Do you thrive when you can flex a variety of strengths and problem-solve in a dynamic environment? Do you identify as a connector who enjoys being an informational and project lead for a high-achieving team? If so, this job will enable you to play a critical role co-leading a team that is moving the needle toward a better future.
Pandemic Action Network is seeking a strong leader, manager, collaborator and master doer who can connect dots and lead work in a fast-paced international environment. A successful candidate for Director of Policy & Advocacy in Africa is highly perceptive, agile, a crisp communicator, a skilled advocate, a strategic thinker, and an effective leader. This role is new and will become part of Pandemic Action Network’s leadership team. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and executing a regional strategy across the African continent. The job is envisioned to help establish a regional hub for pandemic response and preparedness that will operate somewhat independently but in conjunction with the Network’s broader strategy.
The position is a full-time role and eligible for remote work in Sub-Saharan Africa and will work closely with two full-time Co-Founders of the Pandemic Action Network, one of which is based in Brussels and the other in Washington DC, and two full-time Directors who lead communication/partnerships and strategy/operations/finance, based in the U.S..
- Develop a regional strategy for pandemic response and preparedness and mobilize resources to fund the establishment of a regional hub for Pandemic Action Network in Africa
- Recruit, engage and mobilize Pandemic Action Network partnerships and a diverse set of pandemic preparedness and response advocacy champions across the continent, including relationships with leaders, policymakers, funders, implementers advocates, innovators, private sector leaders, and influencers
- Navigate policymaking processes globally and help inform them with an African perspective to support the needs of LMICs
- In African markets, help drive, coordinate and advance regional and national health and development policy agendas linked to pandemic response and preparedness
- Create and leverage political support for pandemic related policies, including developing policy briefs and positions
- Funding dependent, build a team on the African continent to develop and advance a pandemic response and preparedness strategy
- Support partner-led pandemic preparedness and response advocacy at national level in select geographies
- Provide perspective on AU, and individual states’ government policy objectives as they relate to pandemic preparedness, and advocate to governments/multilateral organizations on specific topics
- Help integrate and amplify the voices and experiences of African stakeholders into the broader work of the Pandemic Action Network
- Convene events, working groups, and workshops to inform and align partners across the region on policy advocacy priorities and actions, and highlight progress, gaps, and learnings
- Participate in Network leadership meetings and support strategy development, execution and evaluation
- Lead and coordinate the Network program and activities in Africa