About Pandemic Action Network
Pandemic Action Network was founded with an urgent mission: Drive collective action to bring an end to COVID-19 and to ensure the world is better prepared for emerging pandemic threats. We believe that every effort we make in the fight against COVID-19 should leave a longer-term legacy that better prepares humanity to deal with outbreaks and help prevent another deadly and costly pandemic from happening again. Since launching in April 2020, Pandemic Action Network has grown to more than 350 global multi-sector partners who take action on pandemic preparedness and response from a policy, advocacy, and communications lens.
Position Summary & Key Responsibilities
Our dynamic organization seeks a limited-term Senior Program Officer, Policy & Advocacy to manage a U.S. and global policy portfolio covering pandemic governance and leadership, pandemic financing, and research & development. The ideal candidate will be a strategic and creative problem solver who has expertise in global health security and pandemic prevention, preparedness, and response (Pandemic PPR), together with broader experience in, and passion for, global health and development policy, advocacy, coalition building, and community engagement.
This position is a 6-month contract with a targeted start date in April 2023 through September 2023. The role will cover an employee on family leave and is eligible for remote work in the U.S. and is optimized for those living and/or working in Eastern Standard Time (EST), preferably either in Washington, DC or New York, NY. This position will report to the Network Co-Founder based in Washington, DC.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Policy & Advocacy
- Manage Pandemic Action Network policy and advocacy engagement on key political and public health policy, scientific, and funding issues and developments related to Pandemic PPR in the U.S. and internationally. Specific issues of focus for the SPO will include, but not be limited to, pandemic R&D, global and U.S. pandemic financing mechanisms, and global governance reforms, including advocacy to shape the outcomes of the 2023 UN High-level Meeting on Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness, and Response
- Develop and/or contribute to developing Network policy and advocacy strategies and formulate positions
- Write, edit, produce, and disseminate strategic advocacy, policy, and communications content tailored for U.S. and international audiences
- Direct engagement with target decision-makers and their staffs in the U.S. government and United Nations system
- Cultivate partnerships and manage collaborations with Network partners across geographies, including joint policy and advocacy strategy development and execution
- Advise and support Network leadership in high-level U.S. and global policy and advocacy engagements
- Contribute to the Network’s thought leadership and communications, including developing, editing, and sharing compelling content, and speaking in public fora
- Manage day-to-day U.S. partner advocacy efforts for the Network (in close consultation with Network co-founder based in Washington, DC), including but not limited to: relationship building and maintenance with Congress and key Executive Branch contacts; tracking and advancing Pandemic PPR priorities in legislative and executive branch processes; and leading engagement with relevant U.S.-based advocacy coalitions (Global Health Council Global Health Security Roundtable, etc.)
- Design, execute, and/or manage engagements with Pandemic Action Network partners, stakeholders, including selected working groups, task teams, workshops, events, and other engagements as necessary
- Facilitate connections across partner activities and workstreams, as well as internal teams and activities, to maximize advocacy and communications impact and optimize Network resources
Team & Project Management
- Lead and manage development and execution of specific Network objectives, key results and work plans, including managing execution and reporting on specific grant deliverables
- Supervise team member(s) across time zones as relevant for delivery of Network priorities
- Contribute to and participate in regular team and partner coordination meetings and other initiatives designed to make Pandemic Action Network a great place to work and partner
- Contribute to business development efforts for the Network, including drafting and/or editing project proposals, budgets, and related materials, and identifying strategic funding and partnership opportunities