by Gabrielle Fitzgerald, Co-Founder Pandemic Action Network
The holiday season is here. The next few weeks are a time that we would normally hold festive get-togethers with loved ones – Hannukah, Christmas, New Year’s. While every family has unique traditions that make their celebrations special, what binds them in common is gathering, eating, and spending time together.
In 2020, holiday traditions, like almost everything else this year, need to adapt. With COVID cases rising in every single state, it is vital that we put tradition aside for this season and find new ways to celebrate.
The concept of holiday “cheer” is defined by dictionary.com as something that gives joy, gladness, or comfort. And it’s commemorated in carols as different as “Carol of the Bells” (written by a Ukranian composer in 1914) to “Christmas Wrapping” (the modern classic by The Waitresses in 1981).
But this year, there’s a new definition of “cheer” as a way to protect yourself and your loved ones from COVID. In order to “spread cheer, not COVID” everyone should keep in mind these rules for a CHEER-ful holiday.
#SpreadCHEER not COVID this holiday season with these five tips:
- Cover your face. Wear a mask to protect you and those around you, especially if you are indoors.
- Handwash often. Wash with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after removing your mask. Use hand sanitizer as a back-up.
- Explore virtual activities. Get creative with online game nights, meals, movie watching or gift exchanges with friends or families.
- Enjoy outside. If you must meet up with people you don’t live with, go outdoors. Even then, keep distance and masked!
- Remember we are in this together. Until COVID-19 is gone, we must do our part to keep ourselves and our communities safe.
Pandemic Action Network partners helping lead the charge to #SpreadCHEER not COVID this season include the Federation of American Scientists, iHeartMedia, Facebook, National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID) and dozens of other national and global organizations that make up the Network. iHeartMedia, for example, is supplying 30-second radio PSAs with the Spread CHEER message to its 800 radio stations around the United States.
#SpreadCHEER not COVID focuses on tips and stories about creative ways people are celebrating the holidays while staying COVID-safe.
Let’s all work together to have a CHEERful holiday season this year so that we can get back to our traditional cheer next year!